Monday, May 16, 2011

My Babies

Shortly after reading a post over at No Hands But Ours on adopting out of birth order, I started dancing with Maggie.  She was on my hip, and I had her held close--a place securely occupied by Sarah Beth only just five weeks ago.  As soon as Sarah Beth noticed, she said, "Me turn, me turn!"

I told her okay, and I put Maggie down and danced with Sarah Beth for a minute.  We swapped two more times, so that everyone had two turns at dancing with mommy.  Then I sat down on the floor with them.

Sarah Beth had the last turn, so Maggie, as she sometimes does, faked a little fall and then cried for sympathy.  I rocked her like a baby for a few seconds to give her the love she needs then put her back down.  Thinking that was the end of it, I started to get up.

In her acting debut, Sarah Beth fell to the floor and did her own little fake cry.  I pulled her close and rocked her like a baby too.

Not to be outdone, Maggie promptly did another fake fall.  Before I could even help her up, she was in my lap right beside Sarah Beth.

So I sat in the floor and rocked my two babies.  It doesn't matter that one is three and the other is two.  They can both be my babies.  My arms might get a little tired from all of this double baby holding, but that is ok with me.


The thing is that even though Maggie is older, I'm not sure either one of them realize it.  They treat each other as equals, and they equally compete to be the baby.  And in a way they both are.  

Sarah Beth is the youngest, and while she seems much bigger and older than she did five weeks ago, she is still just two.  So little and sweet.  Maggie may be older, but without the benefit of a mommy and daddy the past three and a half years, she really is starting over in many respects.  She needs to be rocked and loved like a baby.  She is going through stages developmentally that Sarah Beth went through a year ago.  Giving them both the love they need in the ways they need it is a juggle.  Switching, taking turns, sharing.  They happen here all day long.  I am the one blessed by it all.  I am getting twice the love, hugs, and kisses!

2 comments:

DonaldsonFamily said...

It for sure is a double blessing ...both because you are getting all those wonderful hugs and kisses from two such sweeties and because you realize what a blessing it is!!! Love you each and everyone!

Mel said...

Thanks for the sweet comment over at WAGI. I think you'll find that bio age has little weight with Maggie. Kids from hard places are usually catching up emotionally and mentally for a while which is probably why she makes such a great playmate (and enemy) for Sarah Beth). May God bless you on your journey!

Melissa
www.thecorkums.com