Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mother's Day

Mother's Day may be over, but I have been considering just what this Mother's Day meant for several days now.  Like all Mother's Days, I thought about my mom, grandmothers, aunts, and even my childhood friend's moms, who helped to shape me into the mother I am today.  I thanked God for the blessings that allow me to be called Mom.

I also thought about how hard this is.

I love being with my girls.  I love every minute that I have to spend time with them whether it is in the backyard, working on homework, taking them to an after-school activity, or just being silly.  Every moment is priceless.

With all of those fun things though, there are equally challenging tasks.  As they get older, the difficulty of raising them to make good choices gets harder.  As a teacher, I know what choices they have, and lots of them are not pretty.



But even beyond that, being a mom has never felt more challenging than it has the last month.  Actually one month ago today.  That is when we were blessed with Maggie.

I have never been so needed in all of my life.  Maggie obviously needs to know that she belongs, that we love her, unconditionally, forever.  She needs time.  She needs attention.  She needs love.

As a result of all the time that I have to devote to her, my other girls also need the reassurance that their place in our family and in my heart is secure.  I am so aware that I cannot assume that they will know this.



And it is hard work.  Helping everyone find their place.  Sharing my lap.  Working naps and sleep schedules so that everyone has some time that is not contested.  Just spending time with each one.  I don't always succeed, but I know that we will get to a place where we feel settled as a family.  It is taking time, but slowly I see relationships forming between my girls that I know will last a lifetime.

I can't think of any better present for Mother's Day, or any other place to invest my time.

No comments: