Thursday, May 3, 2012

And then she fell. . .

I should have seen it coming.  We were at Emma's school for a chorus concert.  Sarah Beth and Maggie needed to go to the bathroom before it began, so I took them together.  I was happy to see the toilet seats were up, which meant they had been cleaned.  It is the little things after all that make a momma's job just a little easier.  I put Sarah Beth and Maggie each in their own stall with the nice, clean seats.  I stayed with Maggie, but then Sarah Beth needed some help, so I went to the next stall to check on her.

In that short amount of time Maggie got off of the potty so she could flush.  What I didn't realize was that the floor around the toilet was still wet from its recent cleaning.  She started to cry--actually it was more of a scream.

Her right leg was out in front of her, and her left leg was bent back (in the right direction) all the way.  The heal of her left foot was touching her bottom.  This was a first for her.  Ever.  She's only had about a 30 degree range of motion in her knee since surgery.

We know there is scar tissue in there, and we are hoping that in bending her knee so much that maybe she actually broke some of that up.  I'm sure it also stretched and pulled some ligaments and tendons in ways they have never been stretched or pulled.  It had to hurt.

She is back to using the walker full time right now.  She fell on Tuesday, so it has only been a couple of days.  Nothing is swollen, but she refuses to put any weight on it.  If we set her down on the ground without the support of the walker, she cries.

Last night she woke up about once every hour.  She's uncomfortable, and that is understandable.  I just hope it is going to get better.  We are giving it a week, then we will call the doctor.  I'm praying she starts to feel better soon.

No comments: