I love to see rainbows in the sky. When I see one, I very often drive somewhere so that I can get a better view. I love that God chose a rainbow to remind us of His covenant with us. Each time one appears, it is like a beautiful message from above.
As I look at my pictures and posts here, our life looks like a rainbow. I have posted about the beauty of our adoption, how well Maggie is doing, and the progress that she is making toward fitting into our family. And that is all true.
The thing about rainbows is that you have to have some rain to get one (at least one up in the sky!), and while we have a lot of rainbow-moments in our family, we also have some rain. Today was one of those rainy kind of days despite the beautiful, sunny weather outside.
It wasn't a bad day altogether. There were definitely good things that happened. Maggie and Sarah Beth both piled into a little car outside and rode around together. They had a great time swimming. Maggie ate an entire bowl of vegetable soup for lunch (it is the little things!).
But. Wow. We were glad to put them in bed tonight. Overall today was tough. There were many time-outs, much crying, and several battles of will. The good news? We won. Apologies were issued, thrown things were picked up, directions were followed.
We are making progress. Tomorrow is another day, and what I try to remember is that it is another day to fight for our daughter. To help her learn how to be in a family. To help her overcome her anger. To help her take instruction. To help her learn how to respect us as her parents. To help her feel loved. To help her be the person God created her to be.
While there are definitely storms and clouds, that isn't who Maggie is. She is a rainbow full of beauty and promise.
2 comments:
So well said Mary Beth. And all you said is so clearly true. It is that "break the will, but not the spirit" thing that is so obviously a process for you all with Maggie right now. She has a beautiful spirit and is a precious little girl...a gift from God for sure. I know God is going to grow her up to be all He wants her to be. I'm so thankful for you all to be in her life and for her to be in yours. So thankful for your perspective ( we all experience rainbows after the rain or storms before.....we just have to look! ;) ), one of such love, strength and patience. I will continue to help you in any way I can. Love you. Mom
Hi Mary Beth, You do not know me as I only found your blog through Kelly's Korner SUYL Adoption Day but I have been faithfully reading your blog and praying for y'all since then. I am currently in graduate school in Florida studying to be an elementary school teacher. I have wanted to adopt a little girl (or 2 or 3) from China since I was 13 years old so I am just enthralled with your family's story.... Anyway, I just wanted to comment and tell you that your blog post today was so beautiful and encouraging. Maggie is blessed to have you for a Mom and I am encouraged to read about how well she is adjusting to being a part of your family. I am counting down the years until my fiance and I turn 30 and can adopt my own sweet Chinese baby/babies. Thanks for sharing your story on here. Praise God for your willingness to answer His call to bring Maggie home. :-)
~Lauren from Florida
Post a Comment